We live in the age of technology where cars now drive themselves and cell phones are more than what it used to be, you can now an item or pay your bills from a thousand miles away with just one click of a button. how you ever wondered how that is possible? a quick answer to this question is “well computers do it ” bu how does the computer know what to do in the first place ? the answer to this question is programming, someone somewhere wrote a bunch of code that instructed the computer to do just that.
What Does a Computer Programmer Do?
A computer programmer, or coder, is someone who writes computer software.or to a generalist who writes code for many kinds of software. But not in a general language like English or french but in a language only the computer understands.
Computer Programming Languages
There’ve been a lot of programming languages over time but these are the most popular ones:
- Visual Basic
You might be wondering why are they so many languages for a computer? Shouldn’t there be just one language that works for all computer because that would be easy right ? Well, that language does exist, the CPU, the chip that is the brain of any computer, be it a cell phone, laptop, games console or even an ATM machine well, they don’t understand any of theses languages above, the only language that chip understands is called machine language.
it’s impossible to write and even if you could write it no one else could read so computer programming is a way of breaching the gap between us as human begins and machine.
Why Should You Care About All of This?
- Job Growth: According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Employment of software developers is projected to grow 17 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. this is a good reason because programmers won’t have problems searching for a job. So basically there will be enough job to go around.
- A Robot Might Steal Your Job: There were jobs that a lot of people did a long time ago but not any more, machines has taken over jobs like Travel agents, Newspapers, Even Amazon now has a new thing they call ‘grab and go” some kind of a smart store where consumers walk in, pick up anything, and just walk out and automatically pay online whenever they want so there won’t staff around so the company earn more and pay less.
- It Pays Well: According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, an average salary of a computer programmer is $100,690 per year that’s great compared t other jobs.
- Relax It’s not as difficult As it seems : People get easily turned off by things that seem difficult even before they try, it’s in our DNA, the same applies to computer programming , it was hard for me at the beginning when I first started even to this day, but my passion will overcame my fear the more I practiced the more i got better. it requires patience and once it becomes a part of you that fear goes away.
- You don’t necessarily Need a Bachelor’s degree: If you don’t feel comfortable spending four years in school and paying a lot of money for tuition then I would suggest a coding boot camp near you. its cheaper, and more of a hands-on learning area and be out in four months, lot of programmers that work for big software companies like google and Facebook don’t have a bachelor’s degree but this path is not for everyone.
Computer programming is a great career path for anybody that enjoy solving puzzles and finding solutions to problems not just any solution but a best one. so I urge you all to pick a programming language today and start coding.